Childhood obesity is a growing epidemic in the United States. Although this is seen as a complex issue to address, many experts agree that educating children early in life about the importance of healthy food choices and the necessity of physical activity, can play a powerful role in preventing obesity and its consequences. Children may also become change-agents for their families by sharing information about healthy living at home.
Learning is great, but it’s even better if it’s fun! Engaging children in a creative writing contest where students develop a poem, story, skit, song, etc. on the theme of healthy living, nutrition, child safety, wellness, and lifestyle choices can serve to cement the learning and ultimately create lasting impact over the course of their lifetimes.
- The Contest: Students will be invited to enter their completed creative work, as a class or as individuals, and have it judged on a grade level basis by volunteer judges.
- Kick-off Event: International “Walk our Children to School” Day is held in October. We coordinate our efforts to align with this event.
- In-School Presentations by community partners.
- Individual Prizes: Selected individual winners will have an in class celebration and be presented with their awards.
- Class Prizes: Winning classes will have a special Celebrate NJ! assembly in their school with a presentation of Austin the Unstoppable from George Street Playhouse.
Want to learn more? Download the Crunch Bunch Program Overview 2013-14.